Lockout Tagout (LOTO)
A Lockout Tagout (LOTO) program is a critical part of overall safety and compliance at any facility containing potentially hazardous energy. Although the general concept of LOTO is simple, preventing worker exposure to any potentially hazardous energy, a properly developed LOTO program is far more in-depth and contains elements designed to ensure both worker safety and legal compliance. Praetorian Power has experience developing and implementing OSHA compliant LOTO programs for numerous clients, ranging from pocket datacenters to hyperscale industrial manufacturing facilities. A well-designed LOTO program ensures employee safety, facility reliability, worker productivity, and legal compliance.
LOTO violations are on OSHA’s Top 10 most frequently cited standards year after year. The standard is well understood by OSHA inspectors, and due to its underlying complexity, tends to be poorly understood by facility managers.
Major requirements of a compliant LOTO program per OSHA:
- Develop, implement, and enforce an energy control program.
- Use lockout devices for equipment that can be locked out.
- Ensure that new or upgraded equipment is capable of being locked out.
- Develop LOTO procedures for each piece of equipment and type of hazard
- Select lockout hardware selection meeting requirements, and if necessary, developing a compliant Tagout system where Lockout cannot be implemented
- Training and retraining of Authorized and Affected employees
- Develop notification procedures for affected employees
- Conduct annual internal audits of LOTO procedures and program
Praetorian Power can take the uncertainty, complexity, and risk out of developing, implementing, and managing an energy control program at your facility.